The following behavior is not permitted:
- Loud talking & laughing
- Obscene language and cursing
- Running, rough-housing, or throwing things
- Placing feet on tables or chairs
- Fighting, real or pretended
- Eating & drinking
- Inappropriate display of affections
- Threats to others
Appropriate attire is required while in any HCPL branch. It is the policy of the library that all patrons, staff, and other persons on library premises shall be appropriately dressed. Appropriate dress, for the purposes of this policy, includes adherence to local requirements, as well as the wearing of some sort of shirt or top, and wearing of shoes, sandals, or some other form of foot covering. Anyone on library premises who is inappropriately dressed shall be asked to leave the library premises until they are dressed appropriately.
Soliciting is not permitted except in support of the Library and sanctioned Library activities. Soliciting includes:
- Selling items
- Circulating petitions
- Distributing printed material
- Conducting surveys
Patrons may not bring any animals, except those trained to aid the disabled.
Library business phones may not be used by patrons, excepting for brief calls of an emergency nature.
- You must have a current Harrison County Public Library Card or a valid guest pass to access the internet. All users must be in good-standing.
- Guests must sign in at the Reference Desk before using a computer. To obtain a guest pass, users must bring a photo ID such as a driver’s license.
- You MAY NOT use another patron’s library card to access the computers, not even that of a spouse, child, or other immediate family member.
- Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied during Internet use by a parent or guardian.
- Computers will be available first come, first served. If you must use the computer for work or school, please call the Reference Desk to reserve a station.
- Users will be limited to one hour at a time. If no one is waiting or scheduled to use the workstation, users may continue to use that computer until someone else requests use.
- If you wish to download files, you may use your own media (flash drive/external hard drive/CD or DVD). You may purchase writable CDs, DVDs and flash drives at the library.
- Not all library staff members are experienced with the Internet/Computer programs. Staff members may not always be available to assist you if you are not familiar with the Internet or using computer software.
- Library computer workstations MAY NOT be used to ACCESS, UPLOAD, DOWNLOAD, OR DISTRIBUTE PORNOGRAPHIC, OBSCENE, OR SEXUALLY EXPLICIT MATERIAL.
- Library workstations MAY NOT be used to TRANSMIT OBSCENE, ABUSIVE, OR SEXUALLY EXPLICIT LANGUAGE. If a library staff member observes a person viewing such material, that person will be instructed to refrain from viewing such material in the future, and their computer privileges will be suspended for the rest of the day. If abuse of the internet policy occurs a second time, you will lose your Internet privileges permanently. Any person who refuses to comply with these directions will be asked to leave the library premises.
- Remember you are in a library. Avoid playing sound files and keep your conversations quiet. Headphones must be worn properly, on the head. If your headphones are audible to other users, you may be asked to lower your sound levels.
“The computers are available until 15 minutes before closing. All printing and saving must be completed before that time.”
“You may be asked to leave the library and/or denied Internet privileges if you are unable to follow these rules.”
“Harrison County Public Library assumes no responsibility for any damages, direct or indirect, arising from use of Internet services.”
For their safety and security, children under 6 years of age must be directly supervised by a caregiver 14 years of age or older. Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied by a caregiver 14 years of age or older that remains in the Library building.
The Library staff will notify Child Protection Services or the Police if a parent or guardian cannot be reached at closing time or at any time a child is injured or causes harm to another child.
Educational game computers are available for children in the Youth Services department.
Internet use and Microsoft Office are available on our adult public computers. Please refer to the Internet Use Policy for details.
If the Library Director decides to suspend a person’s Library use privileges, the patron will be informed in person if in the library, and/or the person will be informed by letter. A copy of the letter will be kept on file at an appropriate location. If the person has a Harrison County Public Library card, he/she will be blocked from Library use for the duration of the suspension.